Sean's Blog

RAMBLINGS FROM THE DAZED & CONFUSED

January 17, 2017

All Change at seancatt.com

Yes it’s all change at seancatt.com.
The new website is finally up and running and looking pretty damn fine, even if I say so myself. I’m particularly pleased with the new signature logo, which you’ll find gracing all my social media accounts.

Sean Catt signature logo for seancatt.com

Yes I have branding! I’m feeling so corporate.

In fact this is the Mk2 version of the website. The first version was tragically lost during transfer to a new hosting company. Don’t ask. Suffice to say I lost around 30 hours work!

After several hours of the tech support guys at EUKhost struggling to get it to work we had to admit defeat (thanks guys, really appreciate all the effort). Yes, depressed and frustrated with the realization that I needed to start over I had a little cry.

But hey ho… Here is the latest and greatest revision and I think it’s better and shinier than ever, and yes the site now has a SSL certificate (that’s the https: bit) in readiness for an online store at some later date.
So please, have a look around and message me, tell me what you think. Not everything is finished as I write this, but it’s 75% complete and should be all done in a few more days.

So today I learnt that if at first you don’t succeed, keep sodding trying until you do.

 

Sean Catt short signature

 


Facebooktwitterrssyoutubetumblrinstagrammail
January 17, 2017

Chapter headings turn black in MS Word

Do you write using MS Word?
Ever opened up your latest piece of work to find all your chapter headings have turned into great big black blobs?
Trust me … You are not alone!
I have had this happen to me several times now in Word 2010, and always ended up losing my headings or generally making things worse. No matter what I tried including importing all my text into a new document, the same thing seemed to happen next time I opened the document and the next time. Eventually, it seemed to get cured for a while (usually through more luck than judgment I should add).
However, after it happened to me again, and after much late night trawling of the interwebs, I seem to have found the answer. And here it is!
It’s a little complicated but stay with me on this one.

  • Make a backup copy of your document in case something goes wrong.
  • Find a document which has the correct formatting in it.
  • Save this as a template (.dotx).
  • In the corrupted document go to the styles dialog box. The easiest way to do this is to use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S, otherwise you will have to try navigating your way down through the ribbon.
  • Click on the button at the bottom of the box (red arrow).

MS Word styles

  • In the right-hand window of the box which appears, click on close file.
  • Now navigate to the document template and select it.
  • In the scroll box above, navigate to the style (Heading 1 in my case) you want to fix and click on it (single click).
  • The copy arrow should now point to the left, towards the corrupt document.
  • Click on copy
  • Say yes to everything.
  • Close all dialog boxes.

This worked for me. Obviously please don’t blame me if it doesn’t work for you, or breaks your document, (this is why you always back up your work before trying to repair it).


Facebooktwitterrssyoutubetumblrinstagrammail